WHAT IS REFLEXOLOGY?
While there are those who refer to reflexology as ” reflexology massage ” – reflexology is not massage. Reflexology theory is based on the holographic concept of the body with the professionally trained reflexologist focusing on textural changes within “mapped” micro-systems which have been theorized to indicate stress and/or imbalance within the body. Recognizing the body’s tactile indications of stress and imbalance, professional reflexologists utilize reflexology-specific techniques designed to impact these micro-systems which reflexively signals body systems at a distance, encouraging relaxation, down-regulation and a physiological return to balance. The Reflexology Association of America defines reflexology as:
Reflexology is a protocol of manual techniques, such as thumb and finger-walking, hook and backup and rotating-on-a-point, applied to specific reflex areas predominantly on the feet and hands. These techniques stimulate the complex neural pathways linking body systems, supporting the body’s efforts to function optimally.
The effectiveness of reflexology is recognized worldwide by various national health institutions and the public at large as a distinct complementary practice within the holistic health field. (RAA 2016)
From The University of Minnesota – Center for Spirituality and Healing:
- Massage is the systematic manipulation of the soft tissues of the body, using specific techniques (for example, tapping, kneading, stroking, and friction) to relax the muscles.
- Reflexology focuses on reflex maps of points and areas of the body in the feet, hands, and ears using unique micromovement techniques such as thumb or finger walking and hook and backup with the goal of creating a response throughout the body.
SOME BASIC HISTORY
The earliest civilizations and indigenous cultures recognized the healing potential within each one of us. Drawing from this age-old wisdom, modern reflexology builds upon this inner capacity for healing and wholeness.
There is some confusion about the true origin of reflexology, with roots reaching into many cultures around the world. Current history reveals that the techniques evolved from an earlier European system known as Zone Therapy and was introduced to America by three Medical Doctors who developed the current practice of reflexology in the 20th Century. Reflexology is a powerful healing art and natural health science based on physical and neurological studies of the relationship between the currently mapped reflex areas (including but not limited to) the face, feet, hands and outer ears with the corresponding parts, systems and organs of the body.
Specific finger and thumb techniques, unique to the field of reflexology, are applied to these pressure maps (which are shaped much like the human body) on the face, feet, hands, and ears. Studies have shown that reflexing these mapped areas can be highly effective in maintaining and improving health. Facial Reflexology(SorensensistemTM) impacts the energy lines of the body (Meridians), the neural pathways of the face and the facial microvascular system. Facial Reflexology has been pioneered by internationally recognized teacher, Lone Sorensen – her story from UK Reflexologist and colleague, Graham Sluter.
David is certified by the American Reflexology Certification Board, offering independent and rigorous standards of psychometric test validation, the highest standard to which professional Reflexologists across the nation aspire.
David has maintained a practice in Hendersonville since 2002 and is currently serving on the Board of Directors for The American Reflexology Certification Board, has served on the Board of Directors for the Reflexology Association of America and for the North Carolina Reflexology Association as well as volunteering with Four Season’s Compassion for Life (Hospice and Palliative Care) providing reflexology and patient care since 2004.
Practitioner: David Henry, NBCR (Nationally Board Certified Reflexologist – ARCB)
Location: Hendersonville, North Carolina
Office: 217 Linda Vista Drive
Hendersonville, NC 28792
• Hands Feet Ears (Flocco Technique)-2002
• ARCB Certification – 2002
- •Quantum Energy Theory – Kim Seer – 2006
- •Facial Reflexology (SorensensistemTM) – 2009
- •Temprana Reflex Therapy 2011
- •TCM Foot Reflexology Sorensensistem TM – 2011
- •TCM Hand Reflexology Sorensensistem TM – 2011
- •Level 1 & Level 2 Chi-Reflexology with Cyndi Hill and Moss Arnold of the Australian College of Chi-Reflexology – 2013
- • Moving the Energy, Levels 1 & 2 with Lilian Tibshraeny-Morten – 2018
• Current Board Member and Proctor for the American Reflexology Certification Board
• David has served on the Advisory Board to the Board of Directors for the National Organization: the Reflexology Association of America (RAA)
• Past Board Member and Treasurer for the Reflexology Association of America (RAA)
• Past Board Member and Treasurer for the North Carolina Reflexology Association